Why choose Ferrimed®?
Ferrimed® is clinically proven to be effective in the treatment of iron deficiency (ID) and iron deficiency anaemia (IDA).1 It does not interact with most other medicines or food and is well tolerated with limited potential for side effects.1-3 Trust Ferrimed® to supplement your iron needs by preventing or treating ID/IDA.1
Intelligent iron absorption
FERRIMED® iron is absorbed in the body by an active and controlled manner.2,3
What are the benefits of controlled absorption?
- Reliable correction of iron levels1
The body only absorbs the iron it needs
Minimal free iron – significantly fewer
gastrointestinal side effects1,3
Other absorption benefits:
- The convenience of taking it with food2,3
Does not interact with other commonly used
Fewer side effects
Some commonly used iron supplements contain ferrous salts. Ferrous salts are absorbed by the body in an uncontrolled manner, which can lead to unwanted side effects such as constipation, nausea, vomiting and diarrhoea.3,4
Side effects from ferrous salts may be unpleasant and some people may avoid taking their iron supplements for this reason.1 FERRIMED® is absorbed by the body differently, ensuring iron is delivered in a more controlled manner.2,3 Clinical trials with FERRIMED® have shown significantly less side effects, such as nausea, constipation and diarrhoea, than in patients taking ferrous supplements.1,3,4 Therefore, there is better compliance with FERRIMED® due to the improved tolerability when compared to ferrous salts.1,2
Taking FERRIMED® with food
Ferrous salts are generally recommended to be taken on an empty stomach because food can interfere with the iron absorption from these compounds.1,2
FERRIMED® can be taken at any time with or without food and its absorption of iron will not be affected.1,2 In fact, studies have demonstrated that iron absorption with FERRIMED® significantly increases when taken with food.1,4
Getting the right amount with FERRIMED®
When you are taking an iron supplement it is important to check the amount of elemental iron per dose.
FERRIMED® contains 100 % elemental iron per dose and is available in a wide range of formulations, which provides an adequate amount of iron to correct your iron levels when taken as directed.1,5
S1 FERRIMED® Capsules / H840 (Act 101 of 1965) / Each capsule contains 50 mg elemental iron as iron (III)-hydroxide polymaltose complex and 150 µg folic acid.
S1 FERRIMED® D.S. Chewable Tablets / L/8.3/201 / Each tablet contains 100 mg elemental iron as iron (III)-hydroxide polymaltose complex.
S1 FERRIMED® Syrup / H842 (Act 101 of 1965) / Each 5 ml contains 50 mg elemental iron as iron (III)-hydroxide polymaltose complex.
- Geisser P. Safety and Efficacy of Iron(III)-hydroxide Polymaltose Complex. Arzneimittel-Forschung 2007;57(6a):439-452.
- Borbolla JF, Cicero RE, Dibildox M, Sotres D, Gutiérrez R. Iron hydroxide polymaltose complex vs iron sulphate in the treatment of iron deficiency anaemia in infants. Revista Mexicana de Pediatria 2000;57(2):63-67.
- Yasa B, Agaoglu L, Unuvar E. Efficacy, Tolerability, and Acceptability of Iron Hydroxide Polymaltose Complex versus Ferrous Sulfate: A Randomized Trial in Pediatric Patients with Iron Deficiency Anemia. Int J Pediatr 2011;2011:1-6.
- Geisser P, Burckhardt S. The pharmacokinetics and pharmacodynamics of iron preparations. Pharmaceutics 2011;3:12-33.
- FERRIMED® Package Insert.